Download PDF Flyer
San Bernardino County has adopted to participate in Prop 60/90
As of September 19, 2013
Proposition 60 allows transfers of base year values within the same county. Proposition 90 allows transfers from one county to another county in California.
The County Assessors will require a copy of the tax bill from the other county and a copy of the applicant’s birth certificate to be included with the application. Also include a copy of the grant deed for the new purchase and a copy of the closing statements of both sale and purchase.
Summary of eligibility requirements:
- The seller of the original residence, or a spouse residing with the seller, must be at least 55 years of age, as of the date that the original property is transferred.
- The replacement property must be of equal or lesser “current market value” than the original.
- The base year value of the original property cannot be transferred to the replacement dwelling until the original property is sold.
- The replacement property must be purchased or newly constructed within two years (before or after) of the sale of the original property.
- The owner must file an application within three years following the purchase date or new construction completion date of the replacement property.
- This is a one-time only filing. Proposition 60/90 relief cannot be granted if the claimant, or spouse, was granted relief in the past.
- The taxpayer is not eligible for the tax relief until they actually own AND occupy the replacement dwelling as their principle residence.
You may down load the application from the Assessor-County Clerk-Recorder website at www.sbcounty.gov/arc or call their office at (909) 387-8306 to request the application. For a list of frequently asked questions on prop 60 and 90, please visit the State Board of equalization website at www.boe.ca.gov.
The information set forth herein is intended as an overview and should not be construed as legal, financial, or tax advice. Consult your tax professional